Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Blogger Photo Work Around

One of my blogger friends, Jake Silver, frequently remarks about struggles he has uploading images to blogspot. I have them, too. It took me an hour and a half to upload 8 photos to my World of Good post below. By the time I was done, I was too angry to write a good epilogue. I was more in the mood for a World of Rage post instead.

The last two photos you see never made it to blogger at all. I ended up hosting them at filelodge and referring to them there. It worked immediately. I recommend this to all blogspot users. That's the way I will be doing photos from now on. It takes a little work as you will need to create two photos, a small one to show up in your post and a larger one to show up when the photo is clicked, but it will take far less time than a death struggle with blogspot.

And please, please, please back up your blogspot blog. There have been many stories recently about blogs being hijacked or lost.

8 comments:

jazzycat said...

How do you backup a blog?
jazzycat

K T Cat said...

I did it a simple way. I clicked on each month's archives that show up on the sidebar and then did a File>Save in Internet Explorer. It copied my entire month's entries and associated images into my local blog directory.

Blogger gives you a lengthy set of instructions for backing up your blog, but my way seemed to work just fine.

I would recommend reading whatever help files your blog host has on backing up, but at the worst, you can try my way.

Does that make sense?

Justin said...

I like your way... I'll have to get to that later...

Justin said...

and as far as the hijackings... there's an easy way to at least make that harder, just include numb3r5 1n y0ur pa55w0rd5. It's enough to throw off dictionary programs, the easiest way to hack.

Neurotic Mom said...

thanks for the reminder i hadn't backed up for awhile

jazzycat said...

Thanks it worked...

Jazzycat

K T Cat said...

I got this question on email - what do I do when my photo is too big for my blog?

You will need to use a photo editor like Photoshop or Corel. I think there's a free one that comes with Windows or Office, but I use Corel. Resize the image so that it's width is 320 pixels. That will be your smaller one. Host both the small one and the original at filelodge and then refer to them in your post. If you'd like, I can email you the code for posting them from filelodge if you need it.

Jake Silver said...

I have to admit I just gave up and I've moved over to Xanga, which has some features that Blogger does not have.