Sunday, November 09, 2008

A Better way to go John Galt

"Going John Galt", derived from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, means to remove your talents and skills from the economy in response to the ever-increasing burdens, restrictions and guilt imposed on you by popular culture and the government. In the book, the innovative and highly-skilled people of the country gradually drop out of the rat race and the country falls apart.

It's an interesting idea, but it's way too passive and destructive for me. Instead, I suggest you starve your enemies of the resources they need and instead give them to your friends.

Case in point: my parish's Catholic school sent me a request for a donation that would provide scholarship money to low-income families that want to send their kids to Catholic school. That donation will be tax-deductible and accomplishes the intent of going John Galt with many added benefits.

First, it takes the fruits of my labor away from the government. If they want to fund the NEA to put crucifixes in urine or fund public schools to take field trips to lesbian weddings, they can do it without that much of my money. Am I a villain because I've worked hard and am doing fairly well for myself? They can't have my money.

Instead, I'll give it to organizations that will stand up and fight against moral equivalence and secular humanism. They can yap all they want in public school that all cultures and all family structures are equally good while Oakland falls into anarchy, but they can do it without that much more of my support. My money can go to an organization that teaches the kind of morality that would enable the people of Oakland to live happy, successful lives.

It's not enough to quit. That's a cheap and easy way out. It's not enough to engage in politics. The Republicans are not the answer. (See also: Stevens, Ted.) You've got to simultaneously starve your enemies of resources and give them to your allies.

2 comments:

B-Daddy said...

You've been linked.

Kid Dynamite said...

I find the concept of "going john gault" to be extremely interesting, mostly because i myself "went john gault" two years ago, before i'd started reading Atlas Shrugged and had any clue who John Gault was...

The point is - it's not just an idealistic novel - these are real instincts (at least in ME!)

sorry, I have to admit, the extent of my Going Gault thus far has consisted of trying to not pay taxes, although I'm failing at that too...