1. The Great War and Modern Memory. I've always been fascinated by the cultural changes in Europe that occured after World War I. It was so horrific and so devastating that it altered the way they saw life. In bookstores, the old books prior to 1914 are full of hope and adventure. After 1918, not so much.
2. Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. A FAQ for Catholics.
3. Richest Man in Babylon. Short and to the point, or so I hear. Save and invest.
4. Our Culture, What's Left of It: The Mandarins and the Masses. Every so often I like to read a good "we're all going down the tubes" book.
5. Life with Jeeves. To lighten things up, how about some P. G. Wodehouse?
6. Fresh Lies. I love James Lileks' writing style. I'm so grateful he shares it with us on his blog.
7. Falling up the Stairs. More Lileks.
8. Good-Bye to All That: An Autobiography. The title refers to Robert Graves' saying a bitter farewell to all of the institutions that led to World War I, in which he fought. That includes just about everything in his life. It would be the perfect companion piece to selection #1.
9. An Army of Davids. I'm a blogger. This Glenn Reynolds guy knows some stuff about blogging, right? This might be a good book to read. :-)
10. Hiss and Tell: True Stories from the Files of a Cat Shrink. As a catblogger, this one is a gimme.
11. Your Cat's Just Not That Into You: "What Part of Meow Don't You Understand?" More grist for the catblogger mill.
12. Taste Of The South. Terry Thompson is a culinary genius. Everything I have made out of her Cajun cookbook has been a smash hit. This one has to be outstanding.
13. Hollywood, Interrupted: Insanity Chic in BabylonThe Case Against Celebrity. Is there anything more fun (or catty) than trashing arrogant Hollywood celebrities?
There, that's the list. Hopefully I will join the TT gang next week, too. Thanks for visiting!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants