Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Please Replace Anderson Cooper and His Team with a Milblogger

It's late, but I just had to do this. Compare the posts on Anderson Cooper's blog with any post from a milblogger.

In one post, MaryAnne Fox, CNN producer says this about her trip to Lebanon.
Tuesday around 2:30 a.m. local time, cameraman Neil, driver Elias and I left our hotel to start prepping for the show at our live location about 20 minutes away. We were about halfway there when a rocket or perhaps a mortar hit up ahead. That was followed by a second one, which landed even closer.

It took a second for us to all realize what actually was happening.
Translation: When the boom-boom was loud, I nearly pee-peed in my panties!

This is the George Plimpton school of reporting. "I have no idea what I'm doing out here. I just thought I'd fly over here and rubberneck."

Compare that to this commentary by Commander Salamander about the Hezbollah C-802 cruise missile attack on the Israeli corvette a few weeks back.

A C-802 will travel about ~9nm a minute. Once feet wet, the missile was probably less than 1 minute from impact. Depending on the guidance chosen at launch, the seeker head would turn on much closer to the target, giving even the best ESM operator seconds to report, and the Skipper even less time to decide to engage. What readiness state were the Barak and SeaWiz in? How long will it take to go from that dictated from on high state to weapon away or SeaWiz wizz’n? We don’t know. Most likely, there was nothing that could be done.
Is there any comparison at all? Just what service does CNN believe they are providing? What kind of insight can you expect from a dilettante? It's pathetic.

2 comments:

Kukka-Maria said...

But come on...doesn't Anderson Cooper's super-sexiness factor help temper CNN's stupidity? I mean, he did a great job investigating my hunger stike this week...plus my mom made out with him!

I recognize the clear quality difference in the sited posts, but...can you resist those baby blues? ;)

So sayeth Mother Superior of the Holy Order of Ocean Whitefish

K T Cat said...

Mother Superior, his androgynous, metrosexual powers hold no attraction for the Maximum Leader.

Unless he's got tuna. Has he got tuna? Oooooh I love tuna so much! Tuna tuna tuna tuna tuna!