Saturday, June 27, 2009

An Ocean of Clouds

... lapping at a shore of mountains.


I took this photo today as we flew from San Diego to San Jose. I used my little Canon PowerShot to take the photo and then loaded it onto my tiny Acer Aspire One netbook. I used Picnik to edit it - in this case, I just reduced the resolution so I didn't use so much of my memory in Picasa where this blog's photos are stored.

I'm not sure what it looks like. The windows of the plane were clouded with scratches and the screen of the netbook is pretty small, so quality control is difficult. I'm not surprised at this - there's got to be a price to be paid for such a tiny footprint.

On the plus side, this whole blogging travel kit is so small and so light that I packed it in my normal luggage and didn't need an extra case like I do for my normal laptop.

I'd love it if you left a comment and let me know what you thought of the photo.

4 comments:

jlbussey said...

When you look close, it really does look as if the clouds are water lapping at a shore. It's almost surreal in that you can't really tell exactly what you're looking at. Good enough image quality (taking into account the "through the plane window" aspect) for blogging on the road though.

K T Cat said...

Thanks! I was concerned that it was blurry due to motion. I don't think I would have detected that with such poor resolution as I have with this gear.

What's occurred to me is that with this kit, my photos will have to be almost cartoon-quality: big, bold colors and well-defined shapes. This gray, foggy subject was probably a poor choice for a first trial.

K T Cat said...

Oh and yes, that surreal quality was exactly what struck me about the scene. I'm glad it came out in the photo.

jlbussey said...

Having taken pictures through airplane windows before, I don't think that the relative motion is the cause of any blurriness, I think it's mostly due to the window. I don't know that cartoon-y is quite necessary, but certainly not too much tiny detail and overall very sharply focused.