Monday, June 18, 2007

Mail You Don't Want To Receive

Tonight I came home to a letter from the city with the words "Final Notice" on it and dire warnings of damage to my credit if I didn't pay up immediately. In fact, it suggested I might already have been dinged. I had no idea what they were talking about. I pay all my bills promptly. Fortunately, the city has representatives answering the phone unti 6:30PM. Thank God for good customer service!

It turns out that they thought my house was still a rental and they thought I owed them rental taxes. Not only that, they had been mailing the bills to my address from years ago. The pigs that live there now never told the city I didn't live there and never returned the mail. How they managed to finally send the notice to the right address is beyond me.

A form filled out and a follow-up phone call and this should all be cleared up. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I opened that letter.

3 comments:

Kelly the little black dog said...

When we moved from CA to CO we kept getting threatening notices from the state of California about not renewing our auto registration. I was surprised how hostile they got. It took three letters to get them to believe we no longer resided in the state.

K T Cat said...

Well, I haven't received any letters. All I get are these emails that could come from anywhere and some photos that look suspiciously altered. I think you owe me some fines. $20 ought to do it.

Unknown said...

Bleh! I hate government beurocracy. I'm having a similar fight with the State of Ohio. They claim I owe income tax for a previous year that I didn't even live in Ohio. Even if I did live here then, military pay is tax exempt in OH so I wouldn't have to pay it anyway.