Friday, June 16, 2006

Playing Whack-a-mole with Adsense

I've been running contextual Adsense ads on my blog for some time now. The results have been marginal, particularly for image ads. I had thought they would be big hits, with their colorful pictures inviting clicks, but they were total stinkers. The text ads that you see to the right have been much more successful, but even they have been pretty poor.

If you haven't used it, Adsense lets you filter out companies you don't want to receive ads from. Since my blog is called The Scratching Post, I keep getting ads from cat product businesses. Scratching posts, toys, food, everything cat-related keeps getting sent to my site. These ads have been, if you will excuse the expression, total dogs. Every time one of these comes up on my site, I put it on my filter list. They just keep coming. I had no idea how many there were! It's like playing whack-a-mole!

My favorite so far is a cat retirement home called Palm-Meow. Unreal.

Technorati tags:

No comments: