Sunday, June 25, 2006

Instalanche Hangover

Yesterday, The Scratching Post got a link from Glenn Reynolds' Instapundit for our post on a marketing strategy that could be driving the New York Times' repeated violations of national security laws. In one day I picked up 3200 hits. Traffic is still coming in from that link. Additionally, when Glenn links to you, lots of others do, too. Those secondary links drove my Technorati and TTLB scores way up. Lastly, I made more money from Adsense yesterday than I have in the entire time I've been blogging. Today, the temptation to find a follow-up post was tremendous. It was an Instalanche hangover.

When I sat down with my coffee in front of the PC with my Maximum Leader in her office suite next to me, I wondered what I could find to repeat that success. Looking at the sitemeter traffic statistics, it seemed reasonable that 5-10% of those Instavisitors would come back to see what new pearls of wisdom I had to offer. Could I find a hot new topic that I could examine in a novel way using my experience in business? LGF, Captain's Quarters, Instapundit and the rest were all running off in various directions with thousands and thousands of potential hits for me if only I could tempt them into another link. How could I repeat my success?

Here's what I came up with.

If you're new to this site, take a look at the links on the right hand side and pick one. Check out their blog. They are some really cool people. Later today Jacob the Syrian Hamster will post an anthology of his favorite articles for the week from some of their blogs. In the meantime, let me leave you with this.

Our Maximum Leader rolling in catnip.

Jacob hoping for more playtime and seeds.

Sunset over Pacific Beach.

Old friends who just met.

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Rick Lee said...

I've had a few Instalanches in my 14 months of blogging... I just love this definition from Scrappleface:

'Instalanche', which missed a top 10 ranking despite a vigorous lobbying effort, is "a brief but powerful spike in blog traffic, generated by a link from InstaPundit.com, which creates in the affected blogger a fleeting sense of euphoria and heightened self-esteem, followed by weeks of doubt and progressive self-loathing."