That seems pretty innocuous, right? It's voluntary and porn isn't exactly pro-woman, you know. Who could object to that?
It blew up. Watching the replies on his videos and tweets, the majority of responses were highly negative. He was attacked for all kinds of things. Dig his video response which includes several examples.
Note: It's NSFW. I removed the embed from the post because I don't like that sort of thing on my blog, but it's still illustrative.What on Earth was that? Why would voluntarily abstaining from porn cause such outrage?
It's because Paul was trying to redraw the borders of the Empire back to Italia, leaving lots of people outside the boundaries of acceptable behavior.
It didn't matter that it was voluntary. It didn't matter that it showed respect for women. It didn't matter that it was an act of self-control. It only mattered that it reflected badly on the behaviors of the people objecting. It implicitly passed judgment on them, suggesting that there was an objective standard for behavior and porn was outside the boundaries.
- Rome is all acts acceptable to the Catholic Church.
- Italia is all acts acceptable in America, circa, say, 2000 AD.
- You, a person who likes to watch abusive threesomes online, are somewhere in Aquitania.
- Epstein is just barely beyond the border of Dacia. When ABC spiked the Epstein story three years ago, that was an attempt to conquer that territory and make Epstein acceptable.
- Trannies in the library are Brittania.
- Desmond is Amazing, the 11-year-old who dresses in drag and performs in gay bars, is Mauretania.
- Allowing children to choose their gender is Assyria.
The mere suggestion of any objective standards for sexual relations was unacceptable. That's why Paul and everyone choosing to participate in No Nut November were attacked.
The war that American Christians face, probably that Christians in the West as a whole face, is against moral relativism. Moral relativism dissolves the Christian faith since it makes Jesus' sacrifice on the cross pointless. I can't speak for my protestant and Jewish comrades, but as far as I can tell, the Catholic Church is completely unaware that this war is even happening.
It's kind of hard to win under those conditions.