Friday, December 13, 2019

Cooking Notes - Coffee Rub And Fried Chicken Coating

I've started to play with my own recipes for things instead of just taking something out of a beloved cookbook or website. I've also started trying some wacky things I've found online. This post deals with one of each.

I want to make my own fried chicken seasoned flour mix. I like the sophistication of thyme or savory as well as the kick of cayenne, so I tried this one recently.
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne (red) pepper
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp savory
I liked it, but it needed more kick. Next time, I'm going to double the cayenne to 2 tsp.

As for the coffee rub, dig this crazy recipe for steak seasonings.
  • 2 tbsp chili powder 
  • 1 tbsp sugar 
  • 1 tbsp kosher salt 
  • 1 tbsp finely ground chicory coffee 
  • 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Coffee on a steak? Madness! I tried it anyway and I thought it was great. Our guests, given an out with alternate steaks where only salt, pepper and garlic powder had been applied, loved it. I didn't have any chicory coffee, so I used espresso instead.

So there you go. Bon apetit! 

As Chef Jacob always said, it's all about the taste!

No comments: