Tuesday, December 10, 2019

A Swing And A Miss From Peter Heck

Noble Pete, writing at the excellent DISRN website, penned this op-ed. It discusses abortion, specifically Liz Warren's answer in some yackathon with the mouth-breathing troglodytes who didn't go to Ivy League unis like she did. She tells the gathered peons that pre-Roe, women got abortions anyway and some were injured in the process. Here's Peter's payoff graf:
She is smart enough to know what we all know, that this issue comes down to a singular question: what is conceived in the womb? It's all that matters in this debate. If what is in the womb is a living human being, then every advocate for legal abortion necessarily becomes an advocate for legalized murder.
No, Pete, that's not the core issue here. The core issue is this: In modern, secular America, there is no such thing as objective truth. There is your truth and my truth and we can't pass judgment on each other because even Fauxcahontas can't walk a mile in your moccasins.

Let's rewrite Peter's payoff paragraph with perfectly pitched postmodernist panache.
She is smart enough to know what we all know, that this issue comes down to a singular question: what does the pregnant woman think is conceived in the womb? It's all that matters in this debate. If what she thinks is in the womb isn't a living human being, then every pro-life advocate becomes an advocate for tyranny.
Fight the abortion debate with logic all you want. It will be like using those horrid ellipticals at the gym. You'll spend lots of time getting nowhere until you just give up and go home.  You'll have exercised your brain and developed clever retorts to use in debates, but until we ditch the concept of subjective reality, you'll get nowhere.


Hilarious!

Related: Without objective reality, there was no point to Jesus's death on the cross. Good luck getting people to come back to church under those conditions.

7 comments:

Foxfier said...

Hey, I like ellipticals. Losing weight, lower stress, a 15 minute mini-vacation other than that every five minutes or so one of the kids runs down to ask me something.

Arguing with logic is rather the same; yeah, you're not going to get anywhere with someone who WILL NOT listen, but you become familiar with the counter-arguments, and you can persuade folks who are not refusing to listen.

K T Cat said...

I'm back lifting weights and I try to finish with the elliptical, but I think my max is 7 minutes. After that, I just want to stick my head in an oven.

Foxfier said...

I listen to horrible rock music on headphones.

K T Cat said...

I listen to audio books and podcasts. When I go to music, it's typically Jesus music like Newsboys or the chicks - Mandisa, Francesca Battistelli or Britt Nicole. Yep, I like to hear the pop girl songs. Go figure.

tim eisele said...

Yeah, I tried using they gym last winter. It was OK at first, because I park my car about 3/4 mile from my office and the gym is right there on the way, so I could just pop in, do some exercises to complement the walk I was already taking, and then pop out. But then, they informed me that I was not allowed to work out in my normal clothing, and had to change into 'appropriate workout clothing'. So now I needed to go to the changing room at the other end of a pretty large building to change, and rent a locker to keep my workout clothes in. Suddenly, a 20-minute supplemental exercise turned into a nearly 1-hour ordeal. I kept up with it, but I didn't like it, and as soon as the snow melted enough to go back to bicycling to work I was out of there.

So now, I'm back to exercising by just working it into my daily routine. Which isn't too difficult, because my lab is at the opposite end of campus from my office, so I can rack up 10,000 steps per day quite easily. And I constantly have 5-gallon buckets of rocks that I need to move from room to room, so I just carry them instead of using a cart. And then there is the previously mentioned 3/4 mile walk uphill to where I park in the winter, which isn't bad exercise. Throw in some snowshoeing or dog walking in the evening when I get home, and it's all good. And I don't have to specifically make time for exercising, or pay good money to use a gym, or put up with the supercilious jerks that manage the place. And in the event I feel the need to do something else, well, I've got a 25-lb weight that I keep next to the bathroom scale to check its calibration, and I can just heave that around for a bit.

I may not look like a bodybuilder, but this certainly keeps my weight down, and also develops the kind of strength that I need to have for doing useful tasks.

K T Cat said...

As usual, Tim is the voice of reason around here. :-)

Foxfier said...

. But then, they informed me that I was not allowed to work out in my normal clothing, and had to change into 'appropriate workout clothing'.

I HATE that!

To run/walk/whatever, the pants I'm wearing don't matter, seriously.