Thursday, September 13, 2007

How to Decide What to Blog About

If you've been blogging for a long time and the interest is waning, it might be worth going back through your old posts and looking for two things. One, which ones still make you smile? Two, which ones received comments that make you smile?

I discovered this by accident while mucking about with my SiteMeter statistics. A bunch of people had been directed by Google searches to some monthly archives. As I tried to figure out just what Google was directing them to, I noticed myself reacting to what I had written.

As I looked past week after week of World of Good posts, I kept thinking, "Man, do I miss those." For whatever reason, I just have not had the energy on Tuesday nights or Wednesday mornings to churn those out any more. Since they are not topical, I'm going to try to write three or four this weekend and have them ready to post so I can get back into the swing of it.

The second thing that struck me was the fun array of comments on this post about my ultra-cheap, but ultra cool stereo for my garage. I inserted one of my favorite Monkees tunes in it to let people know what Dr. Frankenstein's Stereo's inaugural song was. There were only a few comments, but they still made me smile.

Now all I need to do is bottle the inspiration that led to those...

3 comments:

Rose said...

I love your World of Good Posts. They make me think. Sometimes, when I see something happen, I think, that would make a good "World of Good" post, but I don't want to swipe your idea. I love the Maximum Leader's aerobics. They not only make me smile, they make me laugh out loud. I enjoy your range of topics and your observations.

My blog is pretty set on its topic, nowhere near as much fun. I forget how I stumbled into The Scratching Post, but it's in my menu bar, as well as in the sidebar of my blog, and it is always good to stop by.

And Castor and Pollux are now part of my viewshed. Funny how blogging makes the world smaller in a good way.

K T Cat said...

Rose,

I came home planning to delete this post and then I saw your comment. Thanks!

I've visited your blog and it looks to be the mirror inverse of mine. Where I can't stick to a topic to save my life, yours is fiercely dedicated.

I'm glad you like the 'Post and our photos. I miss the World of Good posts (WOGs) mostly because I miss what they did to me. I always felt better for having done them.

The editorial staff here has been going through some prolonged, unbloggable stress, so the intellectual and energy content of this blog has been pretty low. Once it's all over, in a month or so I hope, I might post about it.

In the meantime, we muddle through the doldrums, but we'll do our best to hop back on the WOGs starting next week.

Rose said...

In some ways it's almost Seinfeld-like - sometimes it doesn't really matter what you have posted, it's that you're there and it's a touching in kind of thing, like bumping into the regulars at the coffee shop - you don't really know each other, but it's ok, you're glad to see them.

Jobs, kids, cats, cars, the "full catastrophe" (remember the quote from Zorba The Greek? Hang in there.