Saturday, June 04, 2011

My Reply To Matthew Hess

Matthew Hess is a cartoonist who is part of a movement in San Francisco to ban circumcision. He has created some thoroughly anti-Semitic cartoons that you can see here. Rather than write a standard Scratching Post polemic where I call Mr. Hess names and sneer at him, I found the video below.

As a Catholic, it bothers me that so many non-Catholics see us portrayed as being all about gays, abortion or priest scandals. We're not. I just got back from a profoundly Catholic retreat, Cursillo, and it was all about living a more Christ-centered life. Looking at Mr. Hess' cartoons, it's obvious he has no idea what it means to be Jewish. I'm sure he's not alone.

Enjoy.



Update: I know this doesn't really explain what it means to be Jewish, but I think that after watching it, it would be pretty difficult to work up the hatred to draw pictures of crazed, knife-wielding rabbis with fangs.

2 comments:

Judith Levy said...

What a delight! Thanks for posting.

K T Cat said...

I'm so glad you liked it, Judith.