Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thursday 13, Totally Random Thoughts Edition

1. My new gaura lindheimeri are blooming. It sure didn’t take them long to get used to their new home.


2. My home router died this week. It had been slowly getting worse and worse and I had suspected the cable modem but when it finally gave up the ghost, I was able to quickly isolate the problem.

3. The key to solving problems like this is to simplify the system and then add components until it fails. I started by removing everything and hooking a single laptop up to the cable modem with nothing in between. When I found that it worked, I knew the problem was probably the router.

4. The speed increase is amazing. I must have been living with near dial-up speeds for quite a while.

5. While the router was down, the computers were off. It was a nice break.

6. I still looked forward to blogging some more. I would get ideas for posts, but not be able to write them. It was frustrating. Of course, the new router doesn't solve the blogger photo upload problem. It is still a dog. I've got a gaura photo to bring up, but I can't seem to get it to work. Update: My blogging buddy Justin suggested www.tinypic.com and it is the best! That's how I got the gaura photo up there.

7. I planted some festucas last week. What’s a festuca? This is.


They’re teeny right now, but they eventually grow to 8-10” tall. I can’t wait.

8. In the last two weeks I have become comfortable with cooking homemade spaghetti sauce and slow-cooked barbeque. I had done spaghetti sauce before, but I always needed a recipe. I’m used to Cajun cooking and I can do that by memory.

9. The key to the ribs is to use a dry rub of spices on them and then cook them in the oven at 250 degrees for 2-3 hours before putting the sauce and grilling them briefly.

10. Yum. I love ribs.

11. The death of my router stopped me from doing a World of Good (WOG) post this week. That’s two of the last three weeks without a WOG.

12. I’ve got two great WOGs waiting to be written and posted.

13. I usually visit lots of other Thursday Thirteens on Thursday mornings and leave my links. I don’t have time for that today. Let’s see what happens when I don’t. Update: I gave in when I came home tonight and I'm stopping by others' TTs.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Technorati tags:

4 comments:

GreekGoddess said...

ribs are one of my most fav foods...yum yum

Southern Girl said...

I've never heard of that festuca plant -- those look so cool!

Anonymous said...

Isn't technology amazing?

Yes, I do cat blog. I plan on posting this weekend in fact. Thanks for asking!

Frustrated Writer said...

ribs sound good. i think i might have to grill some this weekend.