Thursday, April 12, 2007

Fire Don Imus

The more I hear about the Don Imus flap, the more I think the jerk ought to be fired. Perhaps by now he already has. For me, I don't care if the comments he made were racist or not, I'm just ticked off that the girls on the Rutgers basketball team had worked their tails off with practicing and playing and their parents and coaches had sacrificed so that they could reach this point and here this moron goes and soils the purity and nobility of their achievement so he can get the attention.

They did all the work to get to the championship game. He used their achievement to get ratings. A lifetime of their work burned up in an instant on Imus' lips. If one of those ladies were my daughter I would be beyond anger right now.

Update: He was fired. Good riddance.

4 comments:

Dane Bramage said...

There are so many facets to this situation. A grave injustice was done and needs to be redressed. It is between Imus and the Rutgers women he demeaned. Beyond that there are people on both sides of the situation that are usinging it for nothing more than self promotion.

I am not an Imus fan so whether he stays or goes is not important to me. I do not believe that Al Sharpton or any other "alleged black leaders" need to be involved. They were not insulted. In fact they assumed the insult on behalf of me and all black people so they could peddle mock outrage. It is all show because they really don't mean it. And when the show is over it will be back to business as usual.

Anonymous said...

I believe he has just been fired. I didn't think he would be (controversy can mean good ratings), but CBS just did it. Good.

Anonymous said...

i think that this hole thing is crazy... he did not say anything wrong it was a joke.. He can't say something about "Nappy Headed Hoes" but black comedians like chris rock ..etc... can say things about "crackers" and Racism about whites, but whites can take a joke unlike the "Nappy Headed Hoes" who can't.. they all need to grow up and deal with the rasicm card they were dealth, i'm sure he did not mean it to be blown up in such a ridiculous manner like this. Next Time a black comedian calls a white person a cracker or a honky.. i think that they should try and get THEM FIRED.. it was a joke people.. laugh about it instead of bitching.. life is too short to worry about something that was supposed to be a joke that nappy headed hoes couldn't take.. RELAX

K T Cat said...

Anon,

I understand what you're saying about the double standard and I agree. I don't care about the racial angle. I just think it's a pleasant, if tiny and soon forgotten, act of cultural hygiene to get him off the air.

And yes, I know, he'll be replaced by something just as bad. Oh well.