Wednesday, September 07, 2022

Can You Use A Smoker As An Oven?

The answer is: well, sort of, but not really.

I tried to make Sheet Pan Greek Chicken with Roasted Potatoes a few days ago. It was very hot outside and wife kitteh doesn't like being too hot, so I decided to cook in the smoker instead of the indoor oven. It seemed like a reasonable idea. The smoker can get into the 400s without much effort and 400 was all I needed. I followed the recipe pretty closely. Here's how it looked going into the smoker.

Here's how it looked coming out after adding about 15 minutes of cooking time to make sure the potatoes were done.

The chicken was cooked all the way through, but the potatoes are still crunchy, even as leftovers reheated in the microwave for 2 minutes. Meh.

A friend on Twitter recommended that I parboil the potatoes next time and I think that's a really good idea. Crispy, fully cooked taters are much easier to make if they get a good head start in a pot of boiling water.

Other than the crunchy tubers, the recipe was pretty good.

1 comment:

tim eisele said...

Yeah, baking potatoes is weird. If they don't bake fully the first try, there doesn't seem to be a good way to re-bake them to fix it. And baking them in an oven takes forever.

Supposedly, the very best potatoes are rosin-baked potatoes:

https://thecookscook.com/features/the-almost-lost-art-of-rosin-potatoes/

But, I've never gotten together enough rosin to try it. Although, it looks like the place I get my beekeeping supplies sells rosin in quantity:

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping/apiary-maintenance/hive-protection/gum-rosin-25-lb/

If I don't like the potatoes, I guess I could go ahead and use the rosin to waterproof beehive parts instead.