Monday, August 09, 2021

Growing Watermelon Is Easy

... but killing it is even easier!

I've massacred all but one of my watermelon. I'm down to a single Nancy, planted in one of our raised beds.

The sole survivor of about 40 seedlings.

Failure seems to be the recurring theme of my annual Dixie projects. My tobacco molded at the end of the fermentation process. My cotton was harvested, but I couldn't manage to make a cotton gin to process it. Now, I'm taking the easy way out and simply slaughtering almost everything before I have to do the real work of turning the watermelons into wine.

In all seriousness, I have high hopes for this final plant as the bed has been rejuvenated and the little Nancy seems to have taken root within it.

In each of my failures, I've managed to learn something and am hoping to try all three next year. Our remodel will result in two new raised beds, so I'm hoping to devote one to tobacco, one to watermelons and the third to cayenne. Just how all of those will end up in flaming wreckage remains to be seen.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Be careful with the crop separation… don’t need another simpsons-like tomacco…

K T Cat said...

:-)