Thursday, July 29, 2021

At The Grownups Table Without A Booster Seat

 ... is the way I feel right now. The cylinder on my office chair has failed, so my desk now comes up to my upper chest. My chin is only a few inches from the top of the desk. It's demoralizing.

Thanks to Amazon, I've got a new cylinder coming today. Sigh. The traumas I must endure! Surely, not even Job had such trials.

Masks At Work

Our corporate masters, living in a far-off city, have decreed that we must all wear masks while indoors. I would estimate that 80% or more of us have been vaccinated. It's all theater. We're a science and engineering facility and we still can't admit to the existence of reality. In all seriousness, that's tremendously demoralizing.

We do the same with diversity, trans-madness and plenty of other woke nonsense. Hooray for science.

Update: Wretchard the Cat had a great anti-submarine warfare analogy.

The surprising thing about many lockdowns all over the world is they are exactly the opposite of the ASW ideal. Politicians seem to believe that the more widespread and restrictive a lockdown is the more effective it is. The more noise and bangs the better. But in reality, what huge lockdowns unambiguously proclaim is how little actionable information they really have. They are locking swathes in the hope of retarding something by sheer volume of effort. If they actually knew where the threat was the restricted area could be much smaller.

A big enough lockdown is bound to have some effect on the pathogen spread but at the cost of immense collateral damage. In exchange for the reduction, businesses go bankrupt and people lose their jobs. Scale is wildly inefficient and sometimes infeasible. Greyhound could try depth charging a hundred square miles of Atlantic but that would kill a lot of fish and probably be impossible.

The Olympics

I haven't watched a minute of them this time. In the summer games, I used to really enjoy the women's gymnastics, but the feel of the games is so hostile to me, what with all the kneeling and related garbage that I don't feel a kinship to the American team at all. As I understand it, the gymnastics girls all supported Simone Biles and one even said that the team wasn't trying to win the gold for us, they were trying to win it for themselves.

Well.

If it's all about you for you, then you don't need me. I'll be off doing something more rewarding.

/Whining

On the plus side, our cayenne plants continue to churn out peppers. We're getting about a quart-sized plastic bag of peppers every 10 days or so. It's fabulous.

What a happy sight!

1 comment:

One Brow said...

Our corporate masters, living in a far-off city, have decreed that we must all wear masks while indoors. I would estimate that 80% or more of us have been vaccinated. It's all theater. We're a science and engineering facility and we still can't admit to the existence of reality.

I work for a local medical school, and all of our doctors, medical researchers, public health researchers, etc. are quite convinced of the benefits of masks. I'm fairly sure neither of us would not want to use a weapon my employers would design; I'm truly puzzled by your reluctance to accept the opinions of the medical professionals.

Did you even read the study I offered, in particular, the section on the difference in viral load between respiratory jets and ambient air?