Thursday, October 05, 2006

Why Do We Have to Watch CNN?

I just flew in from Chicago and boy, are my arms tired.

Hahahaha! I never get tired of that one.

In any case, I spent two hours in O'Hare airport and it was all I could do to get away from TV sets blasting CNN at inescapable volume. All I wanted to do was to sit and read my book, Lyn Macdonald's Somme. There was no way I could do that with Wolf Blitzer trumpeting transcripts of Mark Foley's lurid emails to little boys from every corner of the gate seating. I ended up finding a tiny kiosk bar in a remote corner of the airport that sold me a $6 Budweiser where I could read in peace.

Who set this up? Who made it that at Dallas-Fort Worth and Washington-Reagan and every other airport we have to be bathed in CNN? It's so grating on the nerves! If they have to have TVs on then I'd much rather they show tranquil aquatic scenes like the ones my dentist has going in his office to calm his patients. Like this one.



Update: What we're watching at the airport is CNN's Airport Network broadcast. It's described here. It also gives a list of the airports that host it so we can start a campaign to have the bloody thing turned off.

Update 2: I've decided to start such a campaign. More to follow. Drop me an email or comment if you'd like to join.

For more business travel tidbits, be sure to visit the Road Gladiator. Trip Hub also has a Carnival of Travel.

This is also being sent as a link to some open trackback posts like this one and this one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, it's because they provide the service "free" and allow the airport/city, etc time to advertise.

K T Cat said...

We can do better than that. I'm going to pitch the idea of travelogue videos that sell the idea of more travel. CNN just blathers on about political scandals and murders.

WomanHonorThyself said...

Nice aquatic video..makes ya wanna snorkel!..lol..great insights KT!..and thanks for the link!