Friday, October 20, 2006

Seed Racing - The New Gambling Craze

Have you heard of the latest craze sweeping the nation? It's Seed Racing. Thousands of people are flocking to this new and exciting sport!

Well, er, not really.

You plant seeds from a variety of species of plants in a flat and then see which ones are ready to transplant into your garden first. It's growing faster than NASCAR, Soccer and Skeleton combined!

What the @%^#&* is Skeleton, anyway?

Not wanting to be left out of this fad, The Scratching Post is jumping in with all four feet! Eight if you count the hamster. We're not only going to participate in Seed Racing, we're actually going to let our readers gamble on it!

Er, that's not entirely true. I just had to get my car repaired and I can no longer afford the plants I wanted. I'm having to grow them from seed. I wanted to chart their growth over time and decided to garden blog about it instead of keep the results to myself.

So without further ado, let's meet the contestants. We're growing four different types of seed. Gold Dust Alyssum, Mixed Painted Daisies, English Lavender and English Daisy Mix.

If you say "garden blogging" fast it sounds vaguely German. "Mein Gott! Ist eine gartenbloggen!"

The seeds were planted on Sunday, October 15. Our horoscope charts indicated that this was a propitious day for planting.

Actually, we never consulted any horoscopes. We just had some extra time that day.

Here's where the plants are coming out of the gate. Click on the pictures for much better images.

The Alyssums have two excellent competitors going already.

The English team has a small daisy coming up, but the lavender has yet to show.

The painted daisies are off and running!

And now it's your turn to put your money down. Just vote in our poll. Feel free to post your bets in the comments section of this post.

Which type of plant will be the first one to be transplantable?
English Daisies
Painted Daisies
English Lavender
Gold Dust Alyssum
I can't pick. This is too exciting! I need to go lie down for a while
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Not that you will. No one ever comments. No one loves me. I do all this work and no one cares. If it weren't for the thrills of Seed Racing, I'd end it all right now.

Gamble responsibly. Know when to quit. If you have a Seed Racing gambling problem, please put the mouse down and call 1-800-I-must-be-insane.

Stay tuned for the next exciting installment!

Update: In order to stay ahead of all of the other sites that will soon be starting their own Seed Racing events, I'm making sure this gets maximum coverage. Look for links at the open trackback posts at StopTheACLU, Angel's blog, The Amboy Times and others.

Update 2: In support of Seed Racing, I just joined the marvellous site, BlossomSwap. I posted a thread about Seed Racing there. I'm obsessed with Seed Racing!

I think my coffee might be too strong.

3 comments:

Aloysius said...

I'll bet a cup of catnip on the daisies!

K T Cat said...

You're on. I'll bet a can of tuna in water on the Alysum!

WomanHonorThyself said...

lol ..a new form of gamblin..who would have thunk it?.>..:)