Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thursday 13, Daughter's Birthday Party Edition

I usually don't talk about my children, but this last week was so much fun that I wanted to share it with you. My daughter turned 10 on Saturday. What she wanted more than anything else was to take her friends to Build-a-Bear. Three of her friends came along and we had a wonderful time. Here are 13 reasons I will always treasure that day.

1. I got to watch young ladies shop. We didn't do the organized party at Build-a-Bear. Instead, I gave each a dollar limit and told them we had all the time in the world. I then let them do what they wanted. For an hour and fifteen minutes they shopped. I hadn't given them a huge budget, about enough for a bear, an outfit and maybe one accessory if they were thrifty.

2. They never got bored or argued with each other. They kept coming up to one another with delighted expressions, showing each other what they had found.

3. One girl needed an extra dollar to buy a shirt for her bear. She came and asked me for more money. I gently turned her down. My daughter put something back and gave her one of the dollars she was going to spend. I was so proud!

4. The three girls we had invited delicately told my daughter to go away for a minute. I saw them conspiring together at one of the accessory racks. They then motioned for me to come over. They had pooled their money together and wanted me to secretly buy a little stuffed cupcake with the words "Happy Birthday" written on it for my daughter. It was such a beautiful thing to see! We managed to buy the cupcake and my daughter never saw it at all.

5. The girls were all very different, but got along well. Two were glamor girls who talked about shopping at The Limited and Abercrombie, one was a soccer player and avid reader and my daughter is a bit of a tomboy.

6. I learned a lot about the kids in 4th grade. Because of the differences between the girls, as I listened to the conversation in the car I got a sense of what everyone in school was interested in. It was a great cross-section of the class.

7. I had not restricted my daughter from inviting anyone. She chose three very polite girls. It was a pleasure to be with them.

8. My daughter has fallen behind in her reading assignments, but is now catching up. In conversation, they discussed schoolwork and my daughter said that she wasn't very smart. All three immediately piped up and told her that wasn't true and that she was very smart indeed. I wanted to hug them.

9. When we opened presents, I got to see the girls excitedly give my daughter the cupcake. That was one of the biggest hits of the party.

10. The girls all slept over. I tried to give them no time limit, but at midnight I finally had to come in and get them to go to sleep. I had figured they would poop out on their own, but they were having too much fun.

11. I let the girls have their sleep over in the game room. That turned out to be a huge hit and my daughter has decided that all future sleep overs should be held there rather than her bedroom. This is fine with me since there is less mess to be made there.

12. In the morning, the girls were all still friends. That may not seem like much, but there are always those sleep overs where you discover that while 2 hours with a certain person is fun, at about 2 hours and 15 minutes they become totally obnoxious and you just want them to go home. These four did great the whole time.

13. There were lots and lots of smiles.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Technorati tags:

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful day! I can just feel your pride in your words. Happy Birthday to your daughter and congrats on such a great experience.

Happy Thursday and thanks for visiting!

Laura said...

aw what fun it sounds like! happy birthday to your daughter.
thank you for visiting my t this week.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I don't have a daughter but reading things like this makes me wish I had one.

That's pretty unusual for such different girls to get along so well! I'm very glad to hear this. Maybe it's now "uncool" to be cliques and so forth. I remember the girls when I was that age - they were ruthless!

Thanks for stopping by!

Southern Girl said...

Oh, what a sweet TT! I'm glad the party was such a hit -- you'll treasure those memories forever. Sounds like you have a great girl. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is a very sweet, heart-warming Thursday 13. I remember some really fun sleepovers I had as a young girl and your daughter's party brought back some fond memories for me. I'm glad she has some good, kind, sweet friends. :)

Anonymous said...

That was so nice to read, I bet you are proud! Fun times.
Thanks for stopping by.

Caylynn said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday party. :) They sound like terrific girls. :)

Thanks for stopping by and happy TT. :)

Chaotic Mom said...

I think out of your whole list, your #7 hit me the most. Isn't it GREAT when we see our kids picking neat friends?

Thanks for visiting my Thursday Thirteen, too. ;)

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

I'm glad your daughter had such a fun birthday. That's the perfect age for sleepovers and shopping ;~)

Enjoy your Thursday and thanks so much for visiting today!

Crayonsetc said...

Oh, 10 is such a big deal for a girl. I remember my 10th and that was a LONG time ago!! Sounds like a great time was had... and gave me a great idea for next year... dd will be 9 in a couple of months :)

Happy TT!!

Pfingston said...

I have a birthday party to plan for my little girl. I really have a lot of fun, and I was taking mentel notes while reading your TT.

Mine's up too.

Unknown said...

That sounds like me and my friends who were preps and cheerleaders while I was the tomboy . . .

We had them out in the back family room too . . .

That was really sweet of them to give her positive feedback and it sounds like you had an experience that you can always look back on fondly and smile . ..

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea! We have a Build a Bear place in my town too and I always see the little girls designing their bears when I go in there. It's a huge thrill for them.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours and am adding you to my blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea! We have a Build a Bear place in my town too and I always see the little girls designing their bears when I go in there. It's a huge thrill for them.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours and am adding you to my blogroll!