Thursday, April 20, 2006

What are They Doing with the Shoeboxes?

We came up with a brilliant idea for Jacob today. We wanted to make a maze for him to run around in. Then we hit upon the idea of taking shoeboxes, cutting door holes into them and clipping them together to form a warren of chambers he could explore. We could put treats in some, his wheel in another, and various odds and ends for him to play with. Since they would be shoeboxes, the maze could be disassembled easily and stored.

We went to Mervyn's to look for empty shoeboxes, but they looked at us strangely and told us they don't give them out.

They're shoeboxes. How valuable can they be? What do they do with empty shoeboxes?

Payless was much more helpful, but they had just gotten rid of their boxes, so we couldn't get any from them, either.

It's a new crusade. Shoeboxes for Jacob.

Incidentally, Jacob is almost impossible to photograph. He moves in rapid spurts and doesn't like being out in the open. I think the shoebox warren will be great for him. Interesting and new, but comforting and enclosed.

I'll post photos when I can get the boxes.

2 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

I LOVE your blog concept.

It reminds me of my hamsters, both unfortunately departed from this world. I remember once when I caught my cat, Tabitha, chasing one of them, Mercedes, in an understood game of tag between them. I saw them and then yelled--thinking that perhaps Tabitha had other things in mind...but they both looked at me, then at each other in a classic, "Oops, mom's mad," moment.

We used to make mazes for the hamsters as well with blocks, but they were too smart--they would bust through the semi-stable walls to the "goal." Shoeboxes may have been a better idea.

Kelly the little black dog said...

Great idea. You might want to make some clear covers so that you can see him without having to open the box. You might want to ask at a UPS store to see if they have some left over small boxes that they can give you.