Thursday, April 27, 2006

Thursday 13, Things I Can't Live Without Edition

If I had to start life from scratch, what would I have to have? Here's my list.

1. My daughter. She's irrepressible. Fun and curious and kind hearted and loving and thoughtful and energetic and loud. She's amazingly resilient. She makes me smile.

2. My son. He's brave. Giving and self-sacrificing and smart and talented and hard-working and thoughtful and quiet. He is tremendously supportive. He makes me smile, too.

3. Coffee in the morning. I don't need great coffee, just strong, black coffee.

4. The Internet. I love connecting to the world. I watched some CNN and FOXNews this morning and I had such a deeper appreciation of it because of the blogs I read. Thanks to all of you!

5. New Orleans Saints football. Every man needs at least one sports obsession. Mine is the hapless Saints. I used to be a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan, but a couple of strikes and outlandish ticket prices have soured me on baseball.

6. The ocean. I snorkel and boogie board and would someday like to scuba and surf. I like to sail, too, but I haven't done that in years. I love the look and sound of the ocean, too.

7. Harmony in life. I love a peaceful, easy, relaxed, fun life. Criticism and harsh words are a poor substitute for understanding and cooperation. And no, you don't need to remind me of my harsh words on this blog. Sheesh! :-)

8. Harmony in music. The Monkees, the Mamas and the Papas, Electric Light Orchestra, Abba, the Busboys, I love layered vocals and cheerful music. My son likes Pink Floyd, but we both joke about how depressed they always are.

9. My parents. Successful in the face of adversity. Honest and creative and loving and firm and caring and smart and moral. They have been just what this blogger has needed in difficult times.

10. Cats. When I was young I was allergic to cats, so I came by them late in life. I can't imagine life without them. I love giving them the freedom to go anywhere they choose, in or out. I love the subtleness of feline social graces. Sometimes they need to feel you pressed up against them, sometimes they just need to be in the same room, sometimes they need to be alone.

11. The library. I like Amazon and the Internet and a well-stocked bookshelf at home, but there's nothing like having the literary works of the world available nearby to hold in your hand.

12. A good kitchen. Good food is crucial. I am discovering that going out to eat is not much of a treat any more. It is more expensive, takes more time, is less intimate and doesn't taste as good as what I make at home. Socializing in the kitchen is always deeper than socializing at a restaurant. I love sharing this with my kids, too. They are both developing an interest in cooking.

13. Friends. A couple in particular. You know who you are. Some don't live nearby. My joy is fuller when shared with friends. Wise counsel is best served with affection.

Other Thursday 13 Sites

Barbara doesn't have to visit or leave a comment. Her latest birdcam shots are amazing as always. Go see them now.

Just Expressing Myself has a fantastic list of software available on the Internet.

Almost an Angel has her 13 up.

TLC goes shoe shopping for her Thursday 13. Er, yes, well, shoes. Hmmm. Yes. Very nice. Did I mention I'm looking forward to the NFL draft this weekend? :-)

Francesca Gray has a very gentle and heartfelt post for hers.

TNChick shows off some great photography.

5 Minutes for Mom has a list of reasons why it's good to have a twin.

Karin at Heartsongs has a post about her little angel that makes you go "Awwwwwww!"

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute list. To survive, I would HAVE to have my kids, cat, cell phone, and laptop......and maybe hubby too, lol. Happy TT!

Frances D said...

A great list. Many things on it would be on my own list of can't do withouts.
Thanks for the lovely commercials.
Mucho good wishes from NYC,
Frances

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

I love your list. I couldn't live without my kids or my cats. Library, love it!

And I have no idea what I did for "fair and balanced" news before the Internet. Hail Google News!

Thanks for visiting my T13!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your list, thoughtful and well written.

-tnchick- said...

Definately have to have my kids, the ocean is always a perk and music, good food, friends. All greeat things!

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea for a TT :) Thanks for visiting!

Kelly the little black dog said...

You are a very wealthy man!

Anonymous said...

Great list. I think I would have to add on my Bible, my books, my cell phone, and my doggies. Oh and my computer.