Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Maui Sea Turtle

I likes my new GoPro 9, I surely do. Check out this guy who decided to cruise through the snorkelers at Ulua Beach.

Odds and Ends: Wife kitteh's new mask and snorkel, bought at my favorite San Diego dive shop before we left, worked perfectly. She'd had problems in the past with leaks and discomfort on the mask as well as her snorkels jamming up on her when they went underwater and their stoppers stopped up permanently. These were on the expensive side, but totally worth the price.

The GoPro 9 is a dream to use. Its battery life and storage are such that you can simply begin recording when you go in the water and stop when you come out. There's no need to husband resources and fuss with the on/off buttons. The video quality speaks for itself. I actually shot in twice the resolution you see above and cut it down for YouTube upload speed.

5 comments:

tim eisele said...

Boy, that turtle just doesn't care about people at all, does it?

K T Cat said...

Not a bit. Everyone knows to avoid them and they do. You only run into problems when the turtles decide to swim right up into you. They're herbivores and gentle, so there's no risk to anyone.

ligneus said...

I'm jealous! I learned to swim 1200 miles south of there when I was stationed on Christmas Is. One time when I dived down a giant Manta Ray came gliding by, nearly pooped myself! I didn't know at the time they too are herbivores.

ligneus said...

O/T Is this as fabulous as I think it is? She is Frank Sinatra's grand daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQ7jpyV_ng

Mostly Nothing said...

Back in 2012, the boys and I went to Seabase in the Keys. One day we got to go snorkling out in reef out there. I stayed more toward the surface, as I'm not a great swimmer, and with the mask, I can't wear my glasses, so can't see much.

I was floating around them moving about a bit, looking down. And there was a torpedo directly below me about 10 feet down; just lazily flicking its tail. It was at least 6 feet long. A baracuda.

My son saw it too, he was down deeper. It knew we weren't a threat to it, and we knew to give it space. Really cool.