Saturday, January 16, 2021

Mt. Laguna

I have at least two long blog posts all written in my head, but I just don't feel like typing them out today, so instead, I'll share a photo from yesterday's hike with the Catican Guards near Mt. Laguna.

I don't know why, but I really liked that view. It's very representative of the area. There are rolling hills, odd swaths of grass and lots of desert scrub. In places, there were patches of snow.

It's been a crazy dry year for us after a reasonably wet one last year. San Diego typically gets about 10" of rain all year and this year, we're down by 3" so far, running 25% of normal. We still have the wettest time of the year ahead of us, so there's a chance to catch up. If we don't, look out for a terrible year for fires.

Blue California still hasn't figured out the whole environmental husbandry thing, so if it's going to be a bad year for fires, we'll lose plenty of homes, have lots of deliberate blackouts and end up with a massive amount of scorched terrain.

Oh well. That's what comes from loving wild spaces so much - fire-blasted wilderness.

You only hurt the ones you love?

No comments: