Saturday, February 10, 2024

Trust The Plan!

Weight loss is absolutely unforgiving. I've never really tried it before now and over the last 6 weeks, it's been a real struggle.

I turn 62 in August. The year before I turned 60, I set weightlifting goals for myself that I managed to meet. They were 60# dumbbell curls, 500# incline leg presses and 90# tricep extensions. I worked my core as well, not understanding how you get 6-pack abs. 

As the saying goes, 6-pack abs are made in the kitchen. You can build your core muscles as much as you want, but you'll never see them if they're covered by fat as mine were.

I wrecked my body hitting those age 60 goals, so the year of 60-61 was lost to injury recovery. I finally recovered and now I'm back at it, but this time, my goals include weight loss. I started 2024 at 221#. I've set a goal of 200# by 62. I'm not sure if that will reveal a 6-pack, but we'll see.

I've been scrupulous about my diet. Cottage cheese, yogurt, no sweets and so on. At the same time, I'm feasting on protein, trying to consume 240g a day. I'm still drinking a bit, so there remains some slack in my diet.

Anywho, earlier this week, I was right on schedule, bouncing around in the 217-218 range. Today? 220.

Trust the plan? For how long?

I haven't started counting calories yet, but if this keeps up, I'll have to do that. 

Argh.

On a positive note, with the exception of a few joints that are a trifle fussy, I've bounced back from my injuries and this year's weightlifting goals are higher than the old ones. I hadn't anticipated that.

2 comments:

Ilíon said...

It's too bad I'm not able to mail you a bit or whatever-it-was which made me sick for most of last summer, one side effect of which was total disinterest in food. For the first two weeks of being sick, I didn't eat a thing; over about six weeks my weight dropped from 230 to 205.

Even after I started feeling better (I think mostly due to forcing myself to eat), it was still a couple of months before I actually had any appetite.

I'm glad you've recovered for over-doing the exercise.

Ilíon said...

It's not just that I had no appetite, it's that even the thought of eating was nauseating. For a while, the only things I could manage to drink or eat was water (and I don't like water) and oranges and bananas. After a while, even a full banana was too much. I couldn't even brush my teeth without setting off the gag reflex.