Monday, December 14, 2020

Of Rods And Timing Belts

Development of the Catican Cotton Gin Mark II continues. If you're new to the topic, I grew cotton this year. I harvested it, but it's full of seeds, hence the need for a cotton gin. A gin is simple - two counter-rotating rollers, pressed together that pulls the lint through as it squeezes out the seeds. I made an initial cotton gin, but it was horrible. On to the second version!

Disappointed with my second attempt to make wooden gears, I spent some time clicking around YouTube. Jackpot. I came across a brilliant idea - take an automotive timing belt and glue it to the rollers. Dig the photos below.



Ready-made, well-fitting, compressible teeth that you can apply to the rods. 

Now all I need to do is get the ends of the rods lathed so the timing belt rests at the same level as the wood of the rollers.

4 comments:

tim eisele said...

Sounds good. Will you need to adjust the diameter so that the circumference is a whole number of timing belt teeth?

K T Cat said...

Nah. If the gears slip a little with every rotation, it's no big deal. Remember, it's not driving anything downstream, it's just rotating two wooden rollers.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I was thinking you could attach two 1/2 inch impact wrenches to the ends of the rollers and really go to town.

Mostly Nothing said...

Impact wrenches? Nah. 2 crate engines. Just have to decide if a Chevy LS-1 will do or if you need the power of the Hellcat.