Thursday, November 29, 2018

On Camels And Eyes Of Needles

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven," said Jesus.

We always interpret this as rich in terms of money, but what about rich in terms of abilities? If you're attractive, isn't vanity always nearby? If you're intelligent, isn't scorn a close friend? If you have the ability to focus and work hard, isn't intolerance of sloth living in your house?

My mom has a gardener who is one of the nicest guys I know. He's not stupid, but he's not a genius, either. He has the virtues of honesty, humility and gratitude in spades. He's closer to heaven than I am, I'm sure of that.

When I see flowers, they sometimes remind me of that man.

1 comment:

ligneus said...

"He has the virtues of honesty, humility and gratitude in spades. He's closer to heaven than I am, I'm sure of that."

A lesson for all of us in that.

If the only prayer you say
In the whole of your life
Is Thankyou,
That will suffice.

Meister Eckhart.