Thursday, February 11, 2010

Google Webmaster Tools

As a part of my noodling around on the Interweb Tubes this morning, I signed The Scratching Post up for Google Webmaster Tools. It shows you all kinds of interesting statistics about your site, particularly about how Google search sees you. The result is full of teh awesome. It gives you a table of Google search terms and where posts from your blog rank in the search results. For example, we're #1 when it comes to the term "lolhamster". We're also #1 on "homemade electromagnet". That explains many of the hits I've been getting from Google.

I haven't finished fiddling around with the thing yet, but it's free and it gives you great feedback on your site. If you try it, I'd love to hear what you find out about your own site.

2 comments:

jlbussey said...

Hmm, I'm not sure how to verify my site. I don't want to stick code in my header because I use WordPress with a custom theme that I didn't create myself, and I'd be afraid of screwing things up. On the other hand there's no way to create a page from their upload file either. I don't think anyway. Would I have to go in through BlueHost and create it directly, by passing WordPress? Pleh. Too much thinking for this time of the morning...

tim eisele said...

I gather that you are still getting a lot of traffic on that "Hannah Montana" entry you created a while back - the archive page with that one on it also has a link to one of my harvestman pictures. I still get hundreds of connections to that image per month by way of people loading your page.

The internet is a strange place.