Friday, October 11, 2019

Getting Out Of A Shoebox

... can be more difficult than it sounds.

Over the stress of the last two months, my world has shrunk to about the size of a shoebox. I might be working overtime taking care of others, but my thoughts are mostly about me, how hard it's been, how it's constricting my life and how much longer it's going to last.

On retreat this weekend, at Mass this morning, I listened to our excellent music team. One of the guys plays the mandolin and he's very, very good.

I wondered about his life. What got him here? How did he decide to get started and what were his first guitar lessons like?

In that moment, the shoebox broke. Thinking of someone else's life, really wanting to know about them takes the focus off of yourself and your anxieties.

Before the weekend is over, I'm going to try chat with him.

1 comment:

ligneus said...

Good on yer mate! So much of the troubles people suffer under are caused by what you might call insular thinking, it's a big world out there!

And.....Sufficient Unto the Day is the Evil Thereof.

A wonderful book,
https://www.amazon.com/Bourgeois-Virtues-Ethics-Age-Commerce/dp/0226556646/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bourgeois+virtues&qid=1570843587&s=books&sr=1-1