Sunday, April 12, 2020

An Automotive Resurrection

On Easter, is it classless to do a post about the resurrection of my MGB? Oh well. At the risk of bringing about Marx's vision for a classless society, here we go.

I drove the B to the supermarket yesterday. It felt great to be out and about in it.

Side note: I was almost the only one in the store without a mask. I swear, I would have gotten fewer sour looks if I'd come in wearing my Confederate Railroad shirt, the one with the rebel flags on it.

Three of the gauges aren't working. What they all have in common is the green feed wire. That will be diagnosed today and is tempting me to rip out the cockpit wiring and do it all again, this time with a diagnostic dongle.

I had to remove the tach and short out its wires to get the car to start. The feed line to the ignition coil runs through the tach. The tach senses the pulses from the coil to give you the RPM. On the plus side, the speedo and oil pressure gauges work.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Interesting anti-theft measure.. bypass the tach to start the car....