Friday, March 06, 2020

SeaTac Is A Safe Space, But Is It Safe For Rap?

We're visiting our son in Tacoma for a few days. We flew up from San Diego yesterday.

The flight was nearly empty. That had to be the effect of the Coronavirus. 

By the way, I haven't got a keyboard with me and our boy doesn't have his computer set up, so blogging will be daily, but light. 

Anyway, the first thing we saw getting off the plane was a sign on the wall of the jetway telling us that the airport was a safe space. The police would get involved if you expressed something offensive. 

So if I had my headphones on and I was singing along with some popular rap music, all about N-words, B-words and H-words, would I have been reported to the authorities?

Bonus Bit: I joked with some of our boys that I was going to represent Dixie up here in Washington with a selection of t-shirts, but I didn't have the courage to wear one with the Rebel flag on it. If I had, would I have been allowed off the plane? 

This is the least offensive thing I could find for sale at Dixie Republic. Would it have been considered unsafe?

3 comments:

Foxfier said...

Probably not safe.

20 years ago, friends who live in Seattle/Tacoma warned my folks not to take their big red pickup with the "Beef, it's what's for dinner" and the USA flag bumper stickers to that area, for fear of it being damaged.

Back during the vote fraud soaked gay marriage vote, folks who had very kind signs expressing a belief in non-gender-neutral marriage were beaten bloody with their own signs, and nothing happened.

There's a regular crime wave of homeless druggie/crazies assaulting people, especially women, and being back on the street before the gal gets out of work.

/sad

K T Cat said...

We are in Olympia right now and the temperature is around 40. Still, there's a number of homeless, clearly drugged to the eyeballs in an area where you wouldn't expect to see many. I guess they're not violating any safe space laws.

Foxfier said...

Oh, hell-- someone did warn you about the campers, right?

If you see a camper/RV in an odd place-- this includes "parked in a residential area but it's parked funny"-- stay the heck away, they've usually got at the very least confrontational homeless, and a worrying number are meth labs.