Friday, March 20, 2020

Babies And Happiness

This is for all of the young women who have fallen for the lies of modern feminism that have told you to focus on your career, that being a wife and a mother is a sellout. It's written from experience and motivated by love. I'll be a grandfather in a year or two and I can't wait. I've got my happiness and I wish you yours.

I know several women who are dear friends that manage to balance careers and family, but if you asked any of them, they'd tell you that they would instantly ditch their careers for their families. Love beats money for them, every time.

And now to my story.



Before our first child, my wife and I both worked. We had good jobs, plenty of disposable income and owned a house that we had renovated by hand. We traveled, ate well and could buy anything we wanted. At one point, I owned a DeLorean. We thought we knew what happiness was.

I drove one of these bad boys. What a great car!
When it came to understanding happiness, we were naive children.

The night we brought our first son home from the hospital, I lay on the downstairs couch with him on my chest so my wife could sleep. As is common with the first child, it had been a long labor and she was totally exhausted. For hours, I held him as he slept. He rested on my chest so long that I began to hurt from his weight on my rib cage.

I had thought I knew what love and happiness were before. I was so, so wrong. I had thought my purpose in life was to make money and have fun. The baby was going to be part of our lives, but not the center. We'd still travel and go out and live like we had been living.

That night, I finally understood what my purpose in life was. All I wanted to be from that moment to this was a husband and a father. There was no comparison to my past life, no frame of reference for it.

There's an old story about someone trying to explain sexual pleasure to a child.

"Is it like chocolates?" the child asks.

"Well, no," replies the adult.

"Then I won't want it."

That perfectly describes my epiphany about being a parent. It was a joy totally unlike anything else I had ever experienced. It took my life to another level, one I hadn't known existed.

I could go on and on about being dad and coaching teams. I could tell you about the quiet, solid, manly pride of providing for my family. I could tell you how my wife gave up a great career, one where she could have made mid-6-figures standing on her head, because she discovered that what fulfilled her was being a mother and a wife.

I could tell you those things, but like me before my first son, you wouldn't understand. You can't understand anymore than you could understand the awe you would feel to walk on the surface of Mars.

You'll do as you wish in your life and I have no problem with that. All people like me, older people who have lived several lives, want to do is open your eyes to the joys of a world that our modern culture tells you is "slavery." It isn't slavery at all.

Your man is designed to serve you through work. Your man is designed to protect you with his body. People talk about the "patriarchy" and howl about earnings and corporate positions. Those concerns are only important if money and power are what give life meaning.

I've had money and I've had power. I used them both to serve my wife and children.

Does that sound like some kind of oppressive, patriarchal power structure to you?

Maybe modern feminists are wrong. Maybe the world is built on love and family, not money and power. Maybe money and power exist to serve love, marriage and family.

Think about it.

No comments: