Wednesday, March 18, 2020

I've Gone About As Fer As I Can Go

Everything's up to date in Kansas City
They gone about as fer as they can go
They went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high
About as high as a buildin' orta grow.
I love quoting that song from Oklahoma because the second line is appropriate for so many things.

Note: For the last several years, I've done only one post a day, but this is my second for the day. If you want to see the lead-in post, which is really a gem, you can find it here.

Well, I didn't finish the cockpit wiring, but I went as far as I could before a lack of parts stopped me. The quarantine meant I had to order the necessaries instead of driving around and shopping for them, but in the long run, it won't slow things down all that much. I'll leave you in suspense for tomorrow's goals, which I already have in mind. Instead, here's some pictorial progress from today.

I didn't have the right size putty knife to finish prepping my center console as a template, so I made one out of some sheet metal I had laying around.
This is what the center console looked like after yesterday's first coat. The template needs to be without holes, so I glued some sheet metal to the back and filled in the holes with spackle.
Here it is after today's coat of spackle. Good enough.
I added a piece to the back of my cardboard dash mock up to reflect the metal brace that is in the car, complete with the holes through which I will feed my harness.
I also added the access hole at the bottom for the the center console. This is where I will feed all wires going to that section of my cockpit controls.
Finally, here is the cockpit wiring Rubicon. Consider it crossed.

I tore out all of my cockpit wires and pulled them back into the engine compartment. As I started to build the connectors I needed, I discovered that I lacked the necessary Molex sockets and plugs. I ordered them through Newark because, thanks to Chop Fluey, I can't go to my local electronics parts supply store and shop for them. Not sure if they will be here on Friday or Monday.

I also bought some wire I needed from British Wiring. It's Red/Green, 14 strand, old boy. Just the thing to give the troops.

Tune in tomorrow to see what's next in our Kung Flu progress.

1 comment:

Mostly Nothing said...

I am very interested in that center console.