Sunday, December 16, 2018

An Apocalyptic Photo

One click leading to another, I pondered buying the audiobook, Alas, Babylon yesterday. It's a 1950s novel about people trying to survive after a nuclear war. When I took the sunset photo below the day before, it had an atomic-bomb-aftermath glow to it.

Enjoy?


Aside: I had an encounter recently with a young person who was thoroughly racist and it really bugged me. At first, I was going to post a rant and then an analysis and finally I decided to post a discussion of a set of candidate arguments to deal with such a situation, but I don't have it fleshed out yet. It was the Nazis-without-ambition sort of racism, mixed with the belligerent self-assurance that comes with youth. It was a social situation, so it was kind of like handling a coral snake - making it angry was going to lead to very bad results and making it angry was the easiest thing imaginable.

Hmm.

4 comments:

Foxfier said...

REcently scared myself a bit taking one of those inter-sectional privilege number tests-- because it was so much like the scoring charts that the Nazis used to identify undesirables, which I read about in the same little book in the school library that had the pictures of human skin lampshades, that I wanted to be sick.

I know people do the same sins, individually, over and over; so it's reasonable that humans as a group would be prone to the same errors, over and over...but dear Lord, please no.

K T Cat said...

Link to the test?

Foxfier said...

I think this is it:

https://intersectionalityscore.com/

I got 20 something. Most guys got single digits.

K T Cat said...

Yeah, I'd seen that one. I scored a 3. I am one of the Untermenschen. You're right, it's the Nuremberg Race laws, but online and easy to use!