Monday, December 10, 2018

Bad Southern Food

... will turn you off from good Southern food because you won't know the good version exists.

I've never liked biscuits and gravy. I keep trying it at restaurants and they keep tasting meh. I decided to give them one last try, making my own buttermilk biscuits and my own sausage gravy.

It was outstanding.


Now that I've tried the basic version and liked it, I have plans, big plans for modifications to the gravy. Fresh herbs from the garden, spicy sausage and who knows what else!

5 comments:

Foxfier said...

<3

ligneus said...

Stop, you're making me hungry!

Ohioan@Heart said...

It looks great. We may insist you share your recipe.

As far as restaurant Biscuits and Sausage Gravy, have you tried Bob Evans'? As far as I am concerned, theirs is the standard by which all others must be judged (and are usually found lacking).

K T Cat said...

Ohioan, I'll make it a point to try Bob Evans next time I get the chance. The gravy recipe is linked in the post as is the book from which I get the buttermilk biscuits recipe.

Mostly Nothing said...

I have been a B&G fan since college when I worked for the moving company and went on the road. Diners that truckers frequent make the best. Or they did in the 80s.

The boy had B&G one morning of an 8th grade basketball playoff game. Then had a monster game.

Thus every game for 4 years, my wife made it for him and me. Glorious. Sometimes homemade biscuits but more often Grands. Fresh baked in the morning.

Senior year as he has late start. No first hour class. So she found an egg bake B&G recipe. She would make it the night before, then he (and I) could heat up what he wanted, when he got up. Quite good.

This past fall, she found a recipe for hand held, with the gravy on the inside. Those are good. Gravy is basically the same, but thicker.

You are right, it is all in the gravy.