Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Cuomo Royal Family

... doesn't exist and I am not a serf tilling his land. That goes double for my own state's governor, Gavin Newsom.

This morning, I finally put my finger on the real problem with the "New York pays and Kentucky takes!" complaint by Governor Cuomo. You know that old one, it's where wealthy states complain that they pay more federal taxes than other states and therefore they have some kind of moral authority. This is nonsense because the word "they" doesn't apply.

I pay state taxes. I pay federal taxes. I use separate forms and I send the money to different places. I cannot deduct one from the other. I hire the Federal Government to defend the nation and negotiate with foreign governments. I hire the State Government to maintain the roads and run the public schools. They are two distinct jobs and two distinct entities. As a free citizen, I am the subject of neither of them. I permit their existence, not the other way around. That's what it means to be American.

It might be a good idea to remember who works for whom.

When Governor Cuomo says the Federal Government needs to bail out New York and uses Federal income and expenses per state as a reason, he's using a feudal model of government. "My cousin, the king, takes too much of my serfs' products! I should be allowed to keep more of them myself!" He thinks that it is "his" state and the citizens are "his" people. We are nothing of the sort because he is nothing of the sort. He's just some dingledork temporarily hired to run one part of the necessary evil known as government.

That he has mismanaged New York into near bankruptcy has nothing to do with President Trump tweeting idiotic things in the middle of the night nor does it have anything to do with Mayor DeBlasio's obsession with modern Nazi Race Theory screwing the people of New York City. I am the sovereign, not them. They all work for me and exist at my pleasure, not the other way around.

Try this thought experiment. What would happen if Remy's funny music videos went hyperviral and we all became Libertarians? What if we decided to abolish the Federal Department of Education and to defund the public schools, choosing instead to send education vouchers directly to parents? Could DeBlasio, Cuomo and Trump stop us?

Temporarily, they could go to the courts and drag everything out, but in the end, we'd get our way even if we had to amend the Constitution. We own the place, government leaders don't own us.

Cuomo is just throwing out a smoke screen to hide the fact that he's driven a wealthy state government into the ground. Given his party's fixation on money and power, it's a good bet that he actually believes that the citizens of New York are "his." Given the lack of pushback from our corrupt news media, it's a good bet that they think the same way.

None of it is true. The citizen is the sovereign and he contracts with each level of government separately. If any one of them fails at their job, it's not the fault of the other two.

No comments: