Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Don't Let Its Appearance Fool You, The Hammock Of Doom Is Fully Operational

I assembled my tobacco fermentation chamber today. It went something like this.

Note: You can find the back story here.

I made hooks to suspend the shade cloth hammock for the tobacco out of solid-core, 14-gauge wire. The top part hooked under the lip of the trash can. The eye at the bottom was to attach the string.
I folder the shade cloth over and the punched the string through with a screwdriver. I figured that it wouldn't cause enough damage to the shade cloth to be a problem as we were only suspending some dried leaves.
The hook, latched under the lip of the trashcan.
The shade cloth hammock suspended about 6" above the bottom of the can. I had previously attached my temperature and humidity gauge to the side. The face of it didn't like being in the sun and its temperature reading shot up 20 degrees in a matter of minutes, so I grabbed a rag to drape over it. Once shaded, the temperature reading returned to normal.
The tobacco leaves from the garage, ready for fermentation.
The hammock worked perfectly.
Others had recommended wrapping the leaves in moist paper towels, so I did them one better. I cut up an old t-shirt, got it damp, and draped it over the leaves. 
It dawned on me that the white color was going to reflect the light right back out and I'd lose a ton of solar energy, so I found some dark blue rags to put over them.

The final product. A Momma Daisy Memorial Chamber of Doom Tobacco Fermenter.

1 comment:

Foxfier said...

This is still so cool. :D