Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Courtyard Is Better Than Marriott

By now, I should know this.

We spent this weekend in Chicago visiting family. We stayed at a Marriott rather than a Courtyard* because Priceline gave us a better deal on the Marriott. That was before the extra charges kicked in.

  • Good points for Marriott hotels: They look nice. Some have really high ceilings, others have suites. Ours was a suite configuration or rather, an almost-suite. Separating the sleeping room from the anteroom was a pair of french doors which let light in from one room to another. The door into the bathroom was a sliding door that banged when you moved it. While the place looked nice, it was functionally indistinguishable from a Courtyard.
  • Bad points for Marriott hotels: Marriott hotels charge extra for parking and Internet. Courtyards do not. We quickly wiped out our savings and that was without buying Internet access. I had french doors, but no Interweb tubes except what I had on my phone. Grrr.

Repeat after me, class: I will never choose a Marriott over a Courtyard again. I will never choose a Marriott over a Courtyard again. I will never choose a Marriott over a Courtyard again....

* - Yes, I know these are brands from the same company.

No comments: