Friday, June 10, 2022

Ferns Going Out On A Limb

We're back in Fairhope, Alabama, working on our Southern charm skills and living life a little slower for a spell. There's a massive tree outside of our rental house, upon which grow ... ferns?

What are those little things on top of that tree limb?

Are they ferns?

Yes, they are! Outstanding!

Forget about growing on top of another plant, at home in San Diego, you can barely get anything to grow just in the dirt. Heck, by now, almost everything is dry, brown and dead. Here in the Deep South, things flourish and thrive.

It's good to be back in Dixie.

3 comments:

tim eisele said...

Yes, it's amazing the difference a bit of water makes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_rainfall_climatology#/media/File:Average_precipitation_in_the_lower_48_states_of_the_USA.png

I don't think I've ever seen ferns that tiny before, but I suppose that's what happens when a normally large plant tries to move into an environment that is more suitable for mosses.

ligneus said...

Makes me want to move there but I'm not a US citizen, oh wait that doesn't seem to matter these days except I'm white too, fergeddaboutit!

IlĂ­on said...

I've visited Teh South -- or, as we called it growing up, "Down Home" -- and I am sooo happy that my father came North (not least that I'd not exist otherwise). I expect that I'd soon expire of the heat anywhere south of the Ohio.