Monday, June 06, 2022

Exploding Watermelon

 ... and by exploding I mean growing in an explosive manner.

I'm trying once more to make watermelon wine so we can do the Watermelon Crawl. You'll have to search on that term if you don't recognize it. Last year, I planted my Georgia watermelons too late in the season. This year, I got them in the ground in time. Luckily, I stepped back from the garden in time, or the things would have grabbed me by the legs.

The plants below were 1/5 this size about a week ago.

Not only are the vines sprinting across the bed, they're also blooming already.

Just remember, if you drink, don't drive, do the Watermelon Crawl.

1 comment:

Ilíon said...

I was in Indiana the whole month of April, helping a nephew replace his bathroom -- and so all the seedlings I had started prior died.

I tried to start more when I got back, but ended up buying most of the plants I set out. The "big-box" stores weren't even selling the cell-packs of seedlings, just larger plants for $5-$6 each. The cheapest I could find at a couple of local nurseries was $.66 per plant.