Saturday, August 29, 2020

Must-See Ladybug TV

IT'S POSITIVELY RIVETING!

Well, actually, after you see it, you'll think I've got a few rivets loose. It's not really must-see. In fact, it's pretty dull. On the plus side, it's only 60 seconds long.

Recap: My cotton patch was infested with aphids, protected by ants. After 2 weeks of laying out borax-laced ant bait, the ants had been reduced to a mere nuisance. I created a ladybug aviary to keep the critters on the cotton plants so they could chomp on the aphids instead of flying away. 

I think this is the last release. The aphids are almost under control and I'm guessing that this round of ladybugs will wipe them out. This time, I put a video camera inside the enclosure to see if I could find out what the ladybugs were doing. My aviary isn't without holes, so many of them simply flew away, but it looks like enough stayed to do the job.

I think I counted ten ladybugs in this video. You'll see them better if you watch it on YouTube. Enjoy?


3 comments:

Ohioan@Heart said...

Slightly more interesting than watching paint dry. But barely. Still good to your low tech, only marginally “Better Living Through Chemistry”, approach working.

FYI: the video link didn’t show on my iPhone until I clicked the ‘view web version’ link at the bottom of the post. Then it’s there in all its glory.

Foxfier said...

Wow, some of those ladies are *booking*!

IlĂ­on said...

If you have told us *why* you're growing cotton, I've missed it.