Friday, September 29, 2017

I Don't Think I'm Going Back To The NFL

So the Bears and the Packers stood for the national anthem last night. (Score one more for Donald Trump!) I've been wondering what my reaction to the league would be when they finally came to their senses and I have to say I shocked myself.

My father comes from the Green Bay area and I was born and raised a Packers fan, despite being a military brat and living all over the country. There are photos of me in Packers gear dating back to the Bart Starr era.

Last night, the Packers played the Bears and beat them like a drum. In the past, I've gloated over highlights from games like these, watching them several times and laughing each time. I could only make it through about 45 seconds of it before I felt nauseous and in another 30 seconds, I switched it off.

It was the end zone dances that did it to me. The same people who have been calling me a racist and disrespecting the flag and the military were there strutting around like peacocks after catching a ball. My reaction was visceral. I hated it, I hated them and I couldn't wait to get far away from it.

Today, I learned that Delanie Walker, a wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans, has been snarking at the fans who are ticked off at the kneeling stupidity, telling them to stay away if it bugs them. Dig this bit of taunting.
I might be done forever with the NFL. Unlike last weekend where I was sad about the whole thing, I'm pretty solid in my loathing for them all right now. Where I was wishing I could come to terms with the protests in some way and remain a fan, I just don't care at all any more and don't want to have anything to do with the game at all.

As for Delanie and the other ignorant punks, I've got a dance routine suggestion for you. It's what I immediately thought of as I watched the Packers highlights. Go for it, Delanie. It's right up your alley.

4 comments:

tim eisele said...

That might actually explain why it seems like the majority of people either care deeply about sports, or really don't care at all, with relatively few who just think they are OK. It sounds like you cared about football as long as there were teams that you could regard as being "your" teams, and had some connection to. But now, they've moved to where you can no longer identify with them, and you're seeing them as what they are: a bunch of big guys playing what is basically a kind of dumb game, while pretending in their arrogance that it matters.

Which is pretty much how I've always seen them, and is probably why I never managed to work up much interest in professional sports.

ligneus said...

Finally seeing the proper outcome of the smugness and idiocy of lefties who happen to be famous is so satisfying. Makes me chortle. Not a big sports fan either though I do like women's tennis, Maria Sharapova, Eugenie Bouchard, Anna Kournikova...........

K T Cat said...

I'm seeing a trend, ligneus. :-)

K T Cat said...

Tim, I still love sports. I think it's just as difficult as great science or engineering. The amount of work and skill that goes into playing at the professional level is huge. This morning, I had a great time watching the Watford - West Brom game. It didn't disappoint with Watford scoring in the last seconds to pick up a draw.

The NFL could have that, but because they've let me know what they think of me, that I'm a racist and my cop friends are racists, it's become impossible for me to watch them perform without thinking about how they despise me.

For all we know, the members of our local symphony are sociopaths. We can enjoy their music because they don't scream at us. As soon as they do, the magic is gone and skill or no, we won't watch them.