Monday, September 18, 2017

Fried Hog Jowls

I love to do goofy voices. It's an affectation and I'm sure it annoys plenty of people, but I've gotten to the point where they just come out.

I've always loved saying I was going to make a mess of fried hog jowls in my redneck accent. The other day, I finally looked up the recipe and it intrigued me. I found that my favorite supermarket, the utterly low-end Food 4 Less, had smoked hog jowls a-plenty. At $1.69 a pound, how could I pass them up?

The long and short of it is that they fry up like bacon. These tasted saltier than the bacon I'm used to, but I'm sure that's due to the particular curing. In fact, they're also called "cheek bacon." They come as a small slab and you slice them to your preferred thickness. Below is my photo essay from the adventure. I don't think I'd do them again, but they weren't horrible. It was definitely worth doing once.

Enjoy!

I couldn't help myself. Jowls are such happy things!

No comments: