Monday, September 14, 2009

At Work in the Catican

As I struggled to listen to the Saints-Lions game yesterday, I worked in the garage installing shelves and putting away camping gear. I was pretty proud of myself - I only had to drill one idiot hole before I found a stud and was able to go 16" across at a time to find the others and hang my shelf brackets.

Meanwhile, our Maximum Leader provided invaluable assistance. I certainly don't think I could have done what she did.

Never send a man to do a cat's job!

6 comments:

Tim Eisele said...

You're lucky on finding the studs. In our old house, the studs *are not evenly spaced* - they range from as little as 10 inches, to as much as two feet. Along with all the other little quirks, we're pretty sure that the builder of the house was pretty much just winging it, and had no plan beyond "I think we should put a wall about here."

K T Cat said...

Yowza! My stud sensor gets me close enough to knock on the wall, but not much better than that. I've got a good quality sensor, but it still only gets me close. I still end up drilling idiot holes. If it weren't for the 16" spacing, my walls would look like the house was used for gangland executions.

:-)

Kelly the little black dog said...

Human supervision is critical in such matters.

Strange about your stud sensor though, do you have textured walls? Lead lining, etc.?

K T Cat said...

Kelly, I can't quite figure it out. I think it's just the nature of the little beasts. It's a Black and Decker that gets high marks. It's got the best success rate of any I've ever used - about 80%.

Kelly the little black dog said...

Well that makes me think you might have a defective unit. My little finder works every time. Mine is a zircon - what ever that is. I think I got it at Ace hardware.

K T Cat said...

I think my studs are moving around as I try to detect them. It's like a game of "Marco Polo." Since you can't see through the walls, you don't really know what those silly pieces of wood are doing back there!