Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sailing, Dogs And Cars

We broke the rules today and drove the Catican Guards out to Ocotillo Wells to see if we could find the fossil canyon. We got close, but a group of desert rats were having a good time shooting targets in a canyon just prior to the fossils, so we walked the dogs, but didn't see the site. No worries. Everyone had a good time. The fossils have been there for more than 6,000,000 years. I suspect they will still be there in another year or two.

On the way back, we took the scenic route home, Highway 94. It has lots of twists and turns. It was also beautiful. This is the perfect time of the year to be out in rural SoCal. It's green and pretty and the weather is just right. In a month or two, everything will be dead and dry.



As we drove, the dogs spent a good deal of time sitting up or standing. I wondered if they would be really tired when we got home.

I used to own a Cal 26 sailboat and loved to sail. I'd be exhausted by the time I was done. It finally dawned on me that I was tired because my whole body was getting a workout while I was on the water. My muscles had to continually react to the motion of the boat to keep me balanced while I sailed.

I figure the dogs kind of go through that when we drive. They don't completely understand the concept and can't help trying to execute doggy behaviors while the car is in motion. When we got back, they laid down, but then again, they always lay down when nothing is happening.

Hmm.

No comments: