Sunday, March 21, 2021

Droplets

I still have my rented macro lens so I'll probably shoot some more closeups today just for fun. I'm sold. It's an $800 lens, but to me, it's totally worth it. 

Watering wife kitteh's new flowers yesterday, I noticed droplets on the petals. I pulled out the Nikkor Howitzer and fired away. I left all of the photos below quite large, so I think they're worth a click.

I made sure to get this one just for Tim.

Here are my other favorites from the afternoon shoot. It was absolutely effortless to take these photos. 

Enjoy.



2 comments:

tim eisele said...

A honeybee! Does one of your (within about a half-mile) neighbors keep bees?

Taking pictures in direct sun like that is a good choice, because macro needs a lot of light. Especially if you stop down the aperture to increase your depth-of-field. I've found that light management in combination with controlling depth-of-field is way more of an issue in macrophotography than it is in regular photography. This is complicated by the fact that your on-camera flash is most likely aimed for normal portrait distances, and won't deliver the light where you want it for macro without some fiddling.

As it happens, I just recently upgraded my macro capacity too. I just got a Canon MP-E supermacro lens, which is less of a traditional macro and more of a microscope that you put on a camera. Instead of maxing out at 1:1, it goes all the way up to 5:1, so it should be good for the smaller ants, mites, and springtails. Bugs are just starting to come out now, so I should be posting some pictures from it by probably around May.

So, anyway, I hope you enjoy your lens!

Kelly the little black dog said...

Check out KEH to see if you can find a used version of the lens you are looking for. They guarantee their lenses so there is no risk. I've purchased about half of my Nikon lenses from them.

You might find a ring flash useful if you continue with macro photography.