Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Value Of Pi, The Value Of X

Pi

Yesterday, I received my Raspberry Pi and associated camera. I didn't have time to play with it then, but I was able to set it up this morning. From out of the box to on the network took 10 minutes. Downloading the OS updates and putting it in its case took an hour, but that was because the WiFi is very slow in my office and my eyes are old. Curse those tiny screws!

In any case, I now have it on the network and it's sitting on the kitchen counter. Working remotely through an SSH connection, I gave it a static IP address, installed Apache, installed PHP and connected it to Dreamweaver. In Dreamweaver, I defined a site and tested it with a new web page. It worked like a champ.

I now have a tiny web server with a camera in the kitchen. About 10' away is its eventual home, attached to the eaves overlooking our tomato plants. Later today, I'll see if I can find the time to take some test photos with the camera. 

  • Pi > Arduino.

X

In a previous post, I uttered this banality.

Our culture has reduced the issues of race and trannies to single-variable polynomials. The variable is bigotry or, in it's most universal form, Hate™. Hate is the independent variable upon which every term in the equation depends. That means we can reduce many equations in life to a single-variable polynomial where x is the amount of Hate present.

The real value of x is that it makes you important. You can fight hate! You can be part of the team. You can be an "ally." 

If the problem isn't Hate™, but a failure to study, well, that makes things a bit stickier, what? If it's a lack of effort, then you aren't part of the picture. It's a Marvel movie and you're a DC superhero. You're not in the script at all.


This is a dog whistle! It's a micro-aggression! It's white fragility!
Lean in! Try harder! Do better!

  • X = Your heroism.

1 comment:

One Brow said...

Yet more evidence that teachers don't expect enough of black students.