Monday, February 08, 2021

Super Old

When the Super Bowl started, I told people I had a Henry Kissinger, Iran-Iraq War attitude towards the game. "It's a pity both sides can't lose." That turned out to be false and I found myself cheering for the Bucs because old. Tom Brady is an old fogey. Patrick Mahomes, who I think is a really good guy, is a young whippersnapper. Respect your elders and lose the game, Patrick! Come back when you've got some gray hair.

Also, Gronkowski reminds me of the Packers' Max McGee. Google that if you must. Old, man. Really old.

The ads were depressing and terrible. Almost none of them were clever because they were trying to be moral in a trapped-in-the-woke-box kind of way. Some of them, like that horrid Springsteen Jeep commercial, were totally unrelated to the product. Also, given Springsteen's nasty comments in the past about people like me, his call for unity sounded a lot like someone letting me know that the Stasi were on their way to my house if I didn't conform. Bite me, Bruce.

There was at least one terrific ad, however. It did everything a good ad should. It was clever and captivating while focusing on the best features of the product. I'm talking about the Pringles ad. It was a work of art. Absolutely stellar. Enjoy.



5 comments:

psudrozz said...

Liked the Michael B Jordon Alexa commercial. The rest were just meh.

tim eisele said...

"Old Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill"

Mostly Nothing said...

Mahomes was obviously hobbled. His "turf toe" is probably actually broken. I hear he does need surgery. Add to it both starting tackles being out, and a great D line for TB.

I watched and I found I just don't like Brady. Belichek is worse, but I just don't like Tom.

As to ads. I liked the GM add with Will Ferrell. It was funny. There was a prequel ad, that I had to look up, also good. I found it funny, poking fun at my ancestry. There are also response ads from Audi and Norway, that were really funny too.

As I watched the Jeep ad, my very first thought was: you know that's a good message, it's a shame they didn't get someone who was even just a little bit in the middle to deliver it. I used to be a big fan of Springsteen, even went to the Born in the USA concert. It was a Tuesday night before Thanksgiving in Kansas City. That Wednesday was only 1 of 2 days of classes I ever missed in College. I sat and read the chapter carefully in Calculus and that was the one I understood the most from the whole semester. I would have been better off not listening to the professor and studying the book harder.

You come to realize now, that Springsteen was good for 12 years, and has been completely forgettable since 1985. I don't like a single song of his that I have heard since 1985.

K T Cat said...

Up until that game, I couldn't stand Tom Brady. Watching him play, I realized I'd been wrong all along. The guy is the GOAT. Period. I love Drew and would much rather have seen the Saints win the Super Bowl, but I simply couldn't sit there and hate on the Bucs because of Brady and Gronk.

Mostly Nothing said...

It's the arrogance I think. Tom and Aaron just aren't likable people. Drew is likable on a very unlikable team. I know that Sean Payton is a good person, doing a lot of charity. But he is extremely hate-able on the football field. No, I have not gotten over bounty gate.

Same with Brady and Belichek. They cheated, many times, they were arrogant and unapologetic. And why would they need to?