Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Expressing Your Rage

 ... at the ballot box is what life is all about.

At least that's what I'm gleaning from the tsunami of ads these days. Voting, it turns out, is the most important thing you can do. Yes, choosing which sub-par, Ivy-League egomaniac is going to swank about, telling you what to do for the next 2, 4 or 6 years is the Most Important Thing.

Or maybe it isn't. I live in deep blue California, so my vote is simply wasted. Instead, I can think of a lot more important things I can do. I'll still vote and happily vote for Trump, but I don't hold any illusions about the importance of the thing.

How about this for something more important: Learning to turn cotton bolls into thread or yarn. When I started my cotton experiment, I had no intention of processing the stuff. All I wanted to do was grow it and observe its life cycle. Now that the plants are popping and I'm harvesting it, I figure I'll see how to turn it into something usable.

Question: Wool and cotton threads are short. How can you make hundreds of feet of yarn or thread from short fibers? As long as I can remember, that's bothered me. If nothing else, this last phase of the cotton experiment will provide a direct answer to that conundrum.

I might need to cut way back on my entertainment consumption between now and the election. It's absolutely unbearable right now. I can hardly concentrate on my cotton bolls and plans for ginning and carding them.

Isn't it beautiful?


4 comments:

tim eisele said...

Well. If she wants some wool to go along with her cotton, it looks like all she'd have to do is brush that huge, fantastically hairy cat. Her carding devices look like they would make fine cat brushes.

Tom said...

At the state park one of the other volunteers does textiles. She spins anything, and the staff brings her bison fur sheddings to spin into yarn. Short fiber cotton ought to be easy.

Mostly Nothing said...

I'm surprised you thought you had no intention of doing anything with them. Especially after the tobacco last year. I'm sure whatever you grew, won't be enough to do much with.

I got my absentee ballot this week. And filled it out without gusto. Horrible choices this year. (said as if other years are different). Since out family here is subject to immediate quarantine any time, I didn't want to risk my chance to voice my displeasure. Can't say I really voted for anyone, just against.

Foxfier said...

*random useless information* Cat hair-- and dog hair-- can only be used very, very sparingly in spinning thread because they slip too much. You can't get them to hang together like wool or cotton.

For dogs, there is enough scent left on it that other dogs can and will respond to the human-shaped dog.